chatterbox CONVERSATION practice Is back!
Available this year in Hindi, Persian, Swahili, Turkish & Urdu
Read the FAQ + sign up below.
Who is eligible for free Chatterbox conversation practice sessions at SOAS?
- Current student at SOAS in any academic year studying one of the above languages with the School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, will be eligible this year.
- This includes students taking a language option.
If you are not eligible, you can purchase conversation practice sessions at our store.
Who are Chatterbox conversation partners?
- Chatterbox conversation partners are highly-skilled and educated professionals who have become refugees.
- They are from diverse backgrounds including medicine, advocacy, academia and film.
- They are working with Chatterbox to rebuild their careers in their adopted homes.
What are conversation practice sessions like?
- Chatterbox conversation practice sessions are a unique opportunity to design your own learning whilst studying a language at SOAS.
- You will individually lead an hour-long practice session with a native speaker. The experience is entirely directed by you. Sessions take place in-person at SOAS campus or online.
- Use this opportunity to improve your speaking and listening skills, practice in alternate dialects, and learn out about the cultures and countries represented by the language you are studying.
Which languages are currently available?
- The languages we have been commissioned to offer this year are: Arabic, Hindi, Urdu, Swahili, Turkish, and Persian.
- Chatterbox helps to address the current imbalance in opportunities for students of non-European languages to improve their communication skills and cultural understanding in the language they have chosen to study.
How do I use the service?
- After you initially sign up above, we will email you instructions on how to book your first session online.
- On our online scheduling platform, you will be able to find and book any available session in your language up to two weeks in advance.
- You will be able to choose between in-person conversation sessions at the university campus or online using Skype.
- Have a look at our blog for tips for making the most of your session.
How else can I get involved with Chatterbox?
Chatterbox is looking for enthusiastic student ambassadors from SOAS to work within our team. Please get in touch if you would like to find out more.